Thursday, May 13, 2010

Make your own cheesy crackers? You bet!

There have been several times I've thought to myself "I wish there was a good cracker that didn't have so much artificial stuff in it." Lo and behold, I found this article on the kitchn and immediately wanted to make them myself. It's SO easy and SO good. I've made this recipe several times in the past couple months and the crackers are always gone within a couple hours.

Cheesy Crackers
1 cup flour
3/4 tsp. salt
4 TBS cold unsalted butter
8 oz. grated cheddar cheese
3-4 TBS water


If you have a food processor this will be a breeze. If you don't have one, like me, use a much less breezy pastry blender. In a medium bowl mix together the flour and salt (and an optional few shakes of pepper). Shred the cold butter into the bowl and with your trusty pastry blender mix it in until it resembles coarse meal. Mix in one tablespoon of water at a time until the dough binds together and can form a ball. Wrap the ball in plastic and chill for at least 20 minutes.


Roll the dough out thin (it will puff up). Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut small little shapes. I prefer triangles. I do this all on a piece of parchment paper that I slide right on to a cookie sheet to bake. I like to space out the pieces a little so they don't stick together while baking, but if you don't most of them will break apart.

Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes, but watch them periodically after 10 minutes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooo! looks so good! the problem is when they look and taste so nice they never last. You eat them all in ten minutes.
BTW, I found a place where you can get 55 gallon drums of Sodium Benzoate, Calcium DiSodium EDTA, Sodium Citrate, Sorbitol 70% Solution and Xanthan Gum in case you want to add them to your recipe.
Dad

Scott said...

Yeah, you're right about the amount of time it takes to eat them. They are SOO good and much better when they're warm: crispy on the outside with a very satisfying chewiness.

55-gallon drums, eh? . . . I'm sure we can find something to do with them . . . like make our food storage last through eternity! BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA!

StephenEmily Stacey said...

Yum! I really want to try making these!
-Em