Saturday, July 24, 2010

Oatmeal...

...blech.
Does anyone know how to make oatmeal look good in a photo? I just got a lot of gross shots. Does anyone know how to make oatmeal taste good without adding loads of sugar?
I wanted to try oatmeal for a "filling and frugal start" to my day. It is also ideal for soaking to help reduce the phytic acid. I followed the recipe here. I added little cubes of apple, maple syrup, whole milk, and a little brown sugar. Blech. I couldn't finish the bowl. It's too sticky and not very tasty. Either the apples were not sweet at all or the oatmeal zapped any sweetness that was there.
Even the Babe only had a few bites before she was done.

Anyone know how to make tasty oatmeal without resorting to the quaker instant packs?

2 comments:

nettie said...

my favorite are steel cut oats with a little honey and topped with blueberries or strawberries or any berry really. it's also good with walnuts or almonds...i think the secret is steel cut oats. they have a bit of a crunch, so they aren't goopy. my kids love them too. morgan likes it with homemade strawberry jam.

Zoe said...

-rasberries, almond extract, pinch of salt

-cinnamon, all spice or ginger

-green grapes and salted peanuts and a few chocolate chips

Love, Zo-zo