Thursday, February 18, 2010

Ugly Cheesecake

Here's an ugly photo of an ugly cheesecake:
This recipe was in my Christmas cookbook titled "Creme Brulee Cheesecake" so I had to try it. I love creme brulee and I really like cheesecake. I made this for Valentine's Day. The cheesecake was divine, but the directions were incomplete. I was told to make the brulee carmel topping early in the process. Then I baked the cheesecake and chilled the cheesecake overnight, then I was supposed to use the carmel topping again... over 8 hours later... without any instruction about how to store it or reheat it. I ended up covering the saucepan I made it in and kept it at room temperature overnight. It hardened, of course, it is burnt sugar after all, so I reheated it before I poured it on the cheesecake. Then it hardened again into an ugly, thick, tough, uncuttable top to the cheesecake--as you can see above. We ended up peeling off the topping and eating the naked cheesecake. It was very tasty, but I don't think I'll make the recipe again, at least not the way the book explained it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What you made, my dear, without knowing it - was the DIET version. The crystal-hard topping is supposed to keep the yummy soft cake beneath from being cut and consumed.
Dad