Tuesday, February 05, 2013

The impressionable memory of a 3 year-old

About three months ago I was commissioned to do several illustrations related to sex ed. I worked on these primarily when my children were sleeping, but there was one point when my 3 year-old saw me working and asked about the pictures. I tried to explain them simply in terms she understood.


She was very interested in the baby in utero pictures and talked about them for several days. Over two months later she drew this:


She had a little blob for the baby but was unsatisfied, so she asked me to help draw the baby. I did and then she "colored it in." She was careful to include a way out, with similar texture as was illustrated in one of the female anatomy illustrations I drew, and she deliberately included a line to label the baby, also a feature in the anatomy illustrations.

This was amazing to me for two reasons, 1) her memory is pretty much amazing. She hadn't seen these pictures in over two months, then decided to draw them, pretty anatomically correct for a 3 year-old and 2) she doesn't like to draw and the one rare moment she wants to, she drew that! What? Crazy girl.