Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Garden update (and finale)

In the weeks before we moved, I kind of left my garden to it's own devices. Apparently the neighborhood cat had plans of his own. I once had 9 cute sprouting strawberry plants. The day we moved I had one partial plant. The rest had been eaten or dug up.
The cosmos had a more successful start, but also looked a little nibbled on. We left before I got to see any flowers.
The Zinnias didn't even come up. I think I noticed 2-3 zinnia plants sprout, but then? rabbits? cat? disease? I never saw them again.
Luckily, the villians of my garden were afraid of the almighty pea plant! I would've had a really big harvest, if only we stayed a few more weeks. Our very first pod made its appearance the night before we left and all the plants were large and lush.

I also said goodbye to my beautiful hydrangea bush. It was exploding with blue blossoms! In general, we felt better about our house and yard than ever during the last few days there. It was sad to say goodbye, but I know there are future garden successes (and probably failures) ahead of me!

No comments: