Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Rocky Road Biscotti

This is probably one of the most blatantly unhealthy things I've baked. Chocked full of chocolate chips, white chocolate chunks, marshmallows, pecans, butter, sugar, drizzled with even more white chocolate... The recipe called for toffee bits, too, and I had them, but there simply wasn't enough batter to mix in more sweet and chunky goodness.
doesn't that yellow flower paper plate just make you happy?
(counting down the days to spring...)


I don't even like biscotti. One of the reasons I made this particular recipe was to find out if I added enough candy, chocolate, sugar, and nuttiness if it would compensate for the uncomfortably dry and crunchy texture that I dislike about biscotti.

The result? I liked this biscotti, but I don't think it was because of the chunks. It was the butter. In my Christmas cookbook it mentions that European biscotti is rarely made with fat, but American biscotti is much more cookie like, made with butter. The second baking allowed that butter to magically mingle with the newly cut edges and crisp to a tasty, lightly fried texture. That little bit of greasiness was delightful! Who would've thought?

I just might make biscotti again. Just might.

No comments: