Monday, January 18, 2010

Popcorn flour?

Sounds exciting. Sounds unique. Sounds like something I can do without buying any additional exotic ingredients. I like popcorn. What really sold me on this bread was the generous melted butter brushed over the top immediately out of the oven.

The popcorn flour was popped popcorn ground to a small grainy texture. It absorbed way more of the liquid than I thought it would. After the ground popcorn I was supposed to add 5-6 cups of regular flour. After only 4 cups it looked just right, but I convinced myself I needed to be a little closer to the recipe, so I added another half cup of flour. Bad idea. I think I ruined the bread.

Well, honestly, I don't think I ruined it that much. It wasn't that great anyway. What I envisioned as a buttery delightful bread with a little crispy popcorn goodness inside ended up being a dense white bread peppered with annoying popcorn hulls that get stuck in your teeth. It wasn't even that buttery. Granted, I left out the "butter extract" but what else would I possibly use butter extract for? I didn't think it was worth it.

No comments: