Sunday, February 28, 2010

Puppet mania

I'm borrowing a sewing machine from a friend to satisfy my growing addiction to puppets.
I'm having fun.
This is Charlie. I think he's my favorite, but he needs something more, like a patch of fuzz hair or pipe cleaner antennae. All I have is yarn and fabric and I'm not satisfied with those options to complete him. Those round felt monster-bug eyes make me happy. Maybe they revert me to childhood and Sesame Street. All my puppets so far have different eyes but Charlie's might be my favorite. I'm also a big fan of the black buttons on Susan.
This is Lucky. He is my second attempt at a durable (not hot-glued together) puppet. I'm hoping I can modify Lucky's pattern to accommodate different animals. The muppet-style puppets are really neat and look awesome, but they are a little more fragile. I want puppets that this little one can pull and poke and bend and bite without me worried about them falling apart.
She likes puppets and it makes me happy.
These are the two puppets that we don't like enough to give names. Miss Green Eyes needs a nose. Her eyes are the heads of plastic spoons that I painted. Yucky duck is the first attempt at a durable pattern. His seams don't all match up very well and his eyes were an experiment in laziness and creativity mixed together.

It's amazing to me how much eyes can change the personality of a puppet. There are so many options! I can't decide which I like best. I guess I'll have to keep making puppets just to make more eyes.

2 comments:

Trent said...

Those look like lots of fun. Do you have a puppet stage for them yet? I seem to recall Dad promised to make one for each of his kids.
Currently Gabe grabs the two blue hot pad mitts and walks around making elephant noises. I should get some real puppets.

K.E.N said...

I am so sad that you weren't able to come to the auction so that I could bid on these....I love them!