Saturday, February 26, 2011

Queen of Hearts

I know this post is a little late, but this was one of my biggest projects last year. It couldn't be forgotten.

For Halloween last year, I wanted to really break in my new sewing machine and make my costume. In my excitement I picked an overly ambitious project, especially considering this is the first dress I’ve ever sown.

I also didn’t measure myself and relied on the size chart to pick my pattern. Big mistake. After spending untold hours cutting fabric and sewing the bodice, I learned that sewing sizes are completely different than store sizes. My dress was 4 sizes too small! I was devastated. I’d spent too much time and money to just quit, so I was convinced I would have to sell my dress on ebay because it would never fit me. The husband gave me a good pep talk shortly after this discovery and reminded me that I am the MacGyver of crafting and I could make it work for me. I took that to heart, ripped a few seams, and added fabric inconspicuously. It worked! If I entered a sewing contest I wouldn’t win any prizes, and perhaps it's slightly ill-fitting, but as a Halloween costume, I think it was stunning.

Plus it was fun to spin in, and that, truly, is the measure of a good costume.

On the plus side, I now have a good understanding of clothing pattern sizes, pleating, bunching, working with brocade, lace and ribbing, among other things. Good stuff to know for next Halloween, he he he.

2 comments:

Pattie said...

you are amazing,,,,and that dress looks fantastic,

StephenEmily Stacey said...

You're awesomely talented. I loved seeing it in person.